Monday, September 22, 2008

done with dance

Well last Saturday which would have been the girls 2ND dance class. I was getting them ready and they fought me the entire time I was dressing them. They kept saying they don't like ballet, they don't want to go to dance, they want to stay home. After I finally got them ready we drove to the studio. Once we got inside they were like little cling-ons. I told the teacher about them being apprehensive and not wanting to come. She said they had fun last week, they were clapping and laughing. She did however allow me to come in the room with them. They usually have the parents wait in the waiting area. They don't want the kids to be distracted by having parents in the same room. We got into the room and the girls would not let me go. I said let's go stand in the circle with the other girls. They wanted nothing to do with it. I went to stand up and they were literally hanging from my shorts. The little girls in the class were just looking at us, I felt bad for them and for my girls. I told the teacher we are just going to leave. I was trying to stay composed because I didn't want to look like an idiot crying in front of all these people. We got to the car and I just started bawling. I know that if they went they would have fun, but they don't understand that at 3 years old. I think it's too much right now with starting school which they've been crying everytime we take them to school too and dance all at once. They aren't used to being away from me, Shawn or my mom since they stay with her during the day. They haven't really been subject to groups of kids without me being in the same room.
I talked to the teacher later and she said to maybe try them again in January or even next fall. She said 1 year makes a huge difference. She said she doesn't want them to relate dance to a scary place then they may never want to come back. She said lots of the girls have older sisters they see coming to dance so they want to come too or they are 4 already. I decided to make one more attempt at taking them before I threw in the towel completely. This time I told Shawn to take them. They don't cling to him as much as me. He said once they got to the cobblestone road by the studio the girls kept saying ...don't want to go to ballet...too little..maybe next year!! He said he didn't even take them in. So we're done for now. I might try again in January and see what happens. If it's the same outcome we'll try again next September.
I know it's me that wants them to do this..especially since I did it and loved it. Of course my mom said I was 5 when I started. They just look so cute in their little leotards and ballet shoes!!

3 comments:

girlytwins said...

Right there with you. We quit our dance class too a few weeks back. We went for 2 months and the girls just seemed to kinda like it. I was hoping they would learn to be more independent but it seemed to get worse. On the last week they said they didn't want to go and wanted to stay home. We still went and they cried on & off during the class and would come & sit in my lap. I decided that was the last class. Maybe next year :)

Claremont First Ward said...

When I first took #2 to dance the teacher took me aside afterwards and told me to try again in 2 or 3 years. I still laugh about that. :)

Tracy said...

oh man - I think a lot us have been there done that. I just look at it as a great way to save some $ for when they really want to do it all. lol